How do spinal cord injuries occur in Chicago? Spinal cord injuries can happen as a result of almost any motor vehicle accident, slip and fall accident, bike accident, or pedestrian accident. In fact, spinal cord damage occurs quite often on Illinois roads and walkways.
When they occur, victims of such injuries seek out financial compensation. This is because spinal cord trauma at any level can lead to medical bills, lost time at work, mental suffering, and more. Sometimes, a victim may lose the use of parts of their body and need a wheelchair for the rest of their lives. Financial compensation can help the victim and their families purchase new equipment and cover other expenses while adjusting to a different way of life after their accident.
The Chicago spinal cord injury attorneys at Lerner and Rowe are well-versed in handling cases that involve spinal cord injuries. We practice only injury and wrongful death law, while living and working within the state of Illinois ourselves. Let us help you and your family fight for the financial compensation you deserve after a spinal cord injury.
7 Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries in Chicago
Spinal cord injuries can be caused by many different kinds of accidents. We have helped those who suffered spinal trauma from:
- Car accidents. Spinal injuries from car accidents can be anything from minor whiplash to catastrophic injury, especially if the victim is not wearing a seatbelt.
- Motorcycle accidents or bike accidents. While wearing a helmet can help save the victim’s brain, skull, and face, the neck, and spinal cord can still suffer major damage.
- Truck accidents. Imagine the difference between a car vs. truck accident. Whatever spinal cord injury you may experience, it can be far worse during a truck accident because of the sheer size and weight of the truck.
- Boat accidents. Boat accidents can also cause spinal cord injuries, especially if a reckless driver is under the influence. Whiplash and other injuries happen when being thrown around (or from) a boat.
- Bus accidents. With no seatbelts, city and school buses are other places for spinal cord injuries to occur.
- Slip and fall injuries. Spinal cord injuries can also happen during a slip and fall event, especially on an icy Chicago winter day and especially if the victim lands on their head and neck.
6 Kinds of Spinal Trauma and Spinal Cord Damage Caused by Accidents in Chicago
There are countless ways that the spine can suffer an injury during an accident. Here are just a few of the most common spinal cord injuries we’ve seen in Chicago.
- Paralysis of the spine, also known as paraplegia, quadriplegia, and tetraplegia, depends on the affected parts of the body.
- Damaged nerves.
- Cervical spine injuries, which are near the neck.
- Anterior Cord Syndrome, Brown-Segaurd Syndrome, and Central Cord Syndrome result in the loss of function or sensation in certain areas of the body.
Whenever one of these injuries occurs, the victim may need to go through medical testing, doctor appointments, and lengthy hospital stays. They may also have to learn how to live with sometimes permanent conditions, and potentially face the loss of the use of limbs, sexual organs, and more. Their mental health is affected too. Ultimately, families must adjust to a new way of life and plan differently for their futures.
What Should Spinal Cord Injury Victims Do After an Accident?
To ease the transition for victims and their families after an accident, many people with spinal cord injuries elect to seek out financial compensation through a personal injury claim. Spinal cord injury victims can strengthen their claim by:
- Saving all documentation from their accident, whether it be medical bills, lost wages, other expenses, photos of the accident, or a descriptive log of their symptoms.
- Following all doctor's orders.
- Calling a Chicago personal injury lawyer before talking with any representative from the insurance companies. Sometimes these individuals will call you to settle your claim while still in your hospital bed!
- Setting up a free consultation and talking with your spinal cord injury lawyer about all of your options.
Call the Chicago Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys at Lerner and Rowe
We are committed to providing excellent communications. Thus, we are available 24/7 and even on weekends.
We serve clients statewide, whether they’re located in Chicago, one of its suburbs, or beyond. And, you won’t be charged a dime until we win your case. So, don’t wait to seek financial compensation. Reach out to the Chicago spinal cord injury attorneys at Lerner and Rowe today.