Advice For Checking Out Commercial And Domestic EPC Assessors

Advice For Checking Out Commercial And Domestic EPC Assessors


You can delay making a choice on the best Commercial and Domestic EPC Assessors for a long time, but what does that really get you? It’s just a timewasting tactic that buys a small amount and may cost lots. The shrewder approach is to meticulously review your choices and single out the one that has the most advantages going for it.

Since 9th January 2013, all advertisements for selling or renting property must clearly show energy rating of the building. If this is not complied with, it can lead to fines upto £200 The intention is that an EPC is not required for conversions, alterations and extensions to buildings other than alterations and extensions to stand-alone buildings having an area less than 50 square metres that would increase the area to 50 square metres or more, or alterations to buildings involving the fit-out of the shell which the subject of a continuing requirement. When a commercial property is sold, rented or constructed an EPC must be in place. This is a legal requirement. A Landlord will be required to ensure that a valid EPC is registered against the property for the entirety of a letting. The SAP calculation is part of the EPC process and is the calculation derived from the BRE Domestic Energy Model (BREDEM) and the National Home Energy Rating (NHER). These calculations can only be carried out by accredited assessors using the correct equipment and software. After carrying out a brief survey of the property, an EPC assessor will place the house on a colour-coded scale from A to G – A being the most efficient band with the cheapest fuel bills and G the least efficient. Once issued, an EPC rating is valid for 10 years. From 1st April 2016 tenants will be able to request consent from their landlord to undertake improvements to their property’s energy efficiency – as long as this improvement has been recommended by an EPC, Green Deal report, or surveyor report. Tenants will need to demonstrate either government or third-party funding, or a willingness to pay, in their request. A landlord will have a duty not to unreasonably refuse a tenant’s request.

Commercial and Domestic EPC Assessors

During an property inspection a number of recommendations to improve its energy efficiency will be identified (in the recommendation report which should accompany the EPC). Implementation of these could not only increase your rating and reduce carbon emissions, but also save money on energy bills. However, it is up to you whether you implement the recommendations or not; the Regulations do not impose a legal duty on you to do so. An EPC estimates primary energy consumption and associated emissions for only certain elements of a property, so does not represent all emissions. Notably it does not include emissions from domestic sources such as cooking, white goods and entertainment. Primary energy sources can be: electricity from the grid, mains gas or LPG; heating oil; coal; and biomass. On-site renewable generation estimates are used to offset these. The Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) are a set of rules relating to rental homes. They were first introduced in England and Wales in 2015. In 2018, MEES made it illegal for private landlords to rent a property that had an EPC rating below E. That meant that any homes rated F or G couldn’t be offered for rent until their rating was improved. EPCs can only be produced by accredited domestic energy assessors in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. In Scotland, Energy Performance Certificates can only be produced by organisations approved by the Scottish Government, while only chartered surveyors registered with RICS can produce energy reports. You may be asking yourself how does a non domestic epc register fit into all of this?

Overall Efficiency Reporting

An EPC Certificate gives the property an energy rating from A, the highest to G, the lowest. It will also give guidance on the estimated energy running costs of a property along with recommended improvements that will make the home more energy efficient and cheaper to run. If you want to challenge your EPC rating or your certificate contains an error you should contact the energy assessor who carried out the report first. You’ll find their details on the energy performance certificate and you can ask them to re-assess your home based on your concerns. For example if you think they recorded the wrong appliances on your EPC or that they missed off an important factor. But if you’re not happy with the response you can appeal to the accreditation scheme the assessor is licensed by. You should also find the details on your certificate. Access to EPC data repositories has shown a positive impact on the market value of energy efficiency improvements, contributing to the market transformation the EPBD aims at. A Commercial EPC can only be produced by an accredited Non-Domestic Energy Assessor (NDEA) and is valid for ten years. Once produced, it is lodged on the Government’s National Non-Domestic EPC Register and is designed to give potential buyers and tenants some basic information about the building’s energy efficiency rating. This is so they can better understand the costs of running the building and changes or improvements they might wish to consider. It’s illegal for landlords to rent out a home with an EPC rating below E, without a valid exemption. Your landlord should provide you with a copy of the certificate when you move into a rental home. You can also request consent from your landlord to make further energy-efficiency improvements to the property, but these will be at your own cost unless the landlord agrees to contribute. Can a mees solve the problems that are inherent in this situation?

To comply with minimum energy performance requirements, many of the recommendations in an EPC report e.g. double glazing, new doors and windows, external wall insulation, and external boiler flues would likely result in unacceptable alterations in the majority of historic buildings. These can include buildings protected as part of a designated environment or because of their special architectural or historical merit. Where a sub-standard EPC exists, landlords can, under certain circumstances, apply for exemption under prescribed grounds. Exemptions apply in their own right and are not a blanket “get out of MEES” card. Any upgrades that can be completed and are not covered by an exemption will need to be completed. Exemptions last for 5 years and need to be registered on the PRS Exemption Register, which is a public record. Exemptions cannot be transferred on the sale of a property. Your business will need an EPC if you own a commercial property and you either rent it out or want to sell it. You will also need one if this property is undergoing construction or significant changes are made to the building, such as the installation of a new heating system. Wondering how much an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) cost? There’s no fixed rate, so you can expect to pay upwards of £59EPC (1 – 3 bed property) and around £120 for commercial property. This is why gathering a number of EPC quotes is tantamount to paying the right sum of money. Investors who are still unsure of what the minimum EPC rating for commercial property is, or of what they need to do moving forward can turn to public entities for guidance. The Carbon Trust offers independent advice on efficient energy usage for businesses and the installing of renewable energy sources. The Energy Savings Trust also has example case studies of best practices, along with other energy efficiency resources and events. Advising on matters such as commercial epc will provide benefits in the long run.

Who Does This Apply To?

EPCs let you know how energy efficient a building is and give it a rating from A (very efficient) to G (inefficient). EPCs tell you how much the building is likely to cost to heat and light, and what its carbon dioxide emissions are likely to be. In the UK, a commercial energy performance certificate or commercial EPC is required when selling or renting commercial properties which are over 50 m2 in size, have a roof and walls and use energy to control indoor climate. This is done in an effort to decrease the emission of carbon dioxide from commercial buildings. A commercial EPC has been a requirement for the marketing of a commercial property since 2008. Commercial EPCs are valid for ten years. Possessing a valid EPC is a legal requirement for all commercial properties. Once a booking to assess your commercial premises has been confirmed, you are free to market it for sale or rent. An EPC is required for property viewings, when written information is requested and when contracts are exchanged. Mees regulations are important for commercial property owners in Ontario. These regulations dictate the types of activities that are allowed on property, and domestic MEES exemptions are available for commercial property that is used primarily for agricultural, horticultural, or forestry purposes. The exemption applies to a building that is at least 3,000 square feet and has been used exclusively for these purposes in the past 12 months. If you qualify for the exemption, you must file an application with your local municipality and provide supporting documentation (like tax records). Make sure to research the regulations in your area to ensure you're in compliance. The EPC will show the energy efficiency rating on an A–G rating scale and it will also include recommendations on how to improve energy efficiency. Make sure you check out how the law is changing on this for buy-to-let landlords under government proposals. Research around epc commercial property remains patchy at times.

Once a Domestic Energy Assessor has completed their survey they will have collected the results of the various areas they have surveyed. They will then use these results to calculate an EPC score using a computer program which runs the results through the Reduced Data Standards Assessment Procedure (RDSAP), a calculation model that has been developed by the government. Newer leases are including EPC clauses that typically restrict tenants from obtaining new EPCs or doing works that adversely affect the EPC. This is clearly a recognition of how powerful EPCs have now become. Yet, there are many existing leases that do not mention EPCs and tenants could use EPCs and MEES to their advantage. Although the process of getting an EPC is thorough, as long as you have relatively easy access to all parts of your property, it is not a disruptive process. In addition to being a legal requirement when you sell or rent a property, it can also be a useful tool to improve its energy-efficiency. When a Commercial or Residential property is sold or rented, an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) must be raised for that property. The EPC should be made available to a prospective buyer or tenant at the earliest opportunity and before a sale or let is agreed. If you are using an agent to sell or rent your property then the EPC must be raised before the agennt can advertise the property. When a property is for sale the EPC will form an integral part of the conveyance. SBEM Calculations may not be sophisticated enough to provide an accurate energy assessment. The energy assessor will use DSM (Dynamic Simulation Modelling) for this type of property instead. An understanding of the challenges met by mees regulations can enhance the value of a project.

Helping Lower Greenhouse Gases

If you're renting or selling your premises, an existing EPC can be used where this is still valid. Otherwise a new EPC must be obtained. You can be fined up to £1,000 if you don't make an EPC available to any prospective buyer or tenant. Trading Standards are responsible for making sure that the EPCs are produced for all rented homes. If a landlord fails to provide an EPC, then Trading Standards can issue them with a notice and penalty charge of £200 per home. In addition to paying the penalty notice, the landlord will still have to provide an EPC to the tenant. An EPC energy assessor will need to visit your property to conduct an energy survey. The assessor will need to access all rooms, including any lofts or extensions. They will also be required to inspect your heating systems and controls, take measurements and take photographs of all key data included in the survey. You can find further insights about Commercial and Domestic EPC Assessors in this UK Government Publications article.

Related Articles:

Extra Information With Regard To Non-Domestic Energy Performance Contractors
Additional Information About Low Carbon Energy Assessors
Background Insight On Professionally Qualified Domestic Energy Assessors
Further Information On Commercial EPC Contractors
Further Insight About Accredited Commercial Energy Assessors
More Information On Qualified Domestic Energy Contractors
Extra Information On Low Carbon Energy Assessors